Common Sense Guide for Consumers
If you see mold, smell a musty odor, or there is visible water damage somewhere in your home, it’s time to act! Mold spores impact indoor air quality and can make you and your family sick.
- Find the source of the moisture. Gutters not draining properly? Leaky bathroom sink?
- Stop the moisture at the source. Don’t delay – mold starts growing within 24-48 hours of a leak.
- Assess the affected area. If larger than 10 square feet – roughly 3 feet by 3 feet – then hire a professional remediation service to remove the materials. They know precautions to take when handling the contaminated materials, so you are not further exposed to the mold.
- Be vigilant. Know what to look and smell for so that you can detect problems early.
Check out this comprehensive guide on mold prevention and remediation here, from The Canadian Mortgage Association.
photo used under creative commons from redbeartx